About the Event
Community EventFamily EventFundraiserVolunteer Event
The Gretna Gritty is Gretna Glen Camp & Retreat Center's 8th annual 5k mud run with 20+ obstacles set in the beautiful, rugged terrain of the Mt. Gretna area. In our 8th running of this awesome event, participants can expect to encounter challenges of balance, brawn, bravery, buffoonery and more! With hilly terrain, and challenges new and old - the Gritty has something for everyone. Now in it's 7th running we will also host the "Nitty Gritty" kids (5-11 years old) fun run which gets kids in on the action with a 1.3 mile fun run. All Gritty and Nitty Gritty runners can expect lunch, medals, adventures, a sweet Gretna Gritty t-shirt, and memories to last a lifetime!
We seek to have an AMAZING event with the BEST course around & Raise $50,000! All proceeds for this event, excluding the costs of participation, will go directly toward Gretna Glen Camp & Retreat Center's operations. After a challenging year of losses due to COVID 19, the Gretna Gritty is set to have an incredible impact for the ministry that happens at Gretna Glen. With your help, we can make this happen.
As we follow state guidelines for outdoor events we are doing everything we can to make sure the Gritty is COVID conscious, safe, and FUN! The Gritty will look a lot like it always has with a few added guidelines. This year, per guidance from the PA Department of Health and CDC recommendations, we have just a few updates for our outdoor event:
- All guests must mask up any time they are not able to social distance. This means masks up while in line for food, walking a heavily populated path, in the restrooms, etc. You should expect to wear a mask from your car to the start area.
- If you’re riding the bus from our off-site parking that will be a fully masked ride. We will have the windows down and ask that households group themselves together on the ride.
- You should arrive for your scheduled start time. New this year it will be a “rolling start”. (no large/ multi-group starts)
- We won’t require masks while you’re on the trail as you can social distance. However, you are more than welcome to wear your mask for the entire event. Please be mindful of others, and to the best of your ability social distance from people outside of your household.
- As always, participants will not be forced to do any obstacle they don’t want to. Participants may opt out of challenges for any reason including to social distance.
- Our food will be “to-go” style this year, but we’ll still have some picnic tables spread out for your use if you would like. Please refrain from eating with people outside of your household.
- All volunteers need to be masked when not able to social distance.
- Handwashing stations, hand sanitizer and porta-potties will be available.
- Nitty Gritty parents are encouraged to run alongside their participants. This may be the best way to help your child both navigate the obstacles, and remember to social distance outside of their household.
- Please limit the number of friends/family that come to watch. They must follow all masking and social distancing guidelines.
At this time CDC guidance for vaccinated people still recommends that vaccinated people remain masked when in public spaces.
We understand that these requirements will work for some people, and not for others. We are hopeful that in the spirit of the Gretna Gritty we can all tolerate a few extra steps this year for the safety of everyone. We are so thankful for your willingness to be a part of this beloved outdoor fundraiser for Gretna Glen. We can’t wait to see you on May 8th to GET GRITTY!
Each year we need 100+ volunteers to make the Gretna Gritty happen. Jobs range from Registration to Obstacle support. We are so thankful for our awesome volunteers!
Are you interested in being one of our many amazing community sponsors? Our sponsorship form can be filled out and e-mailed back to firstname.lastname@example.org.